Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Short term and Long term goals

Hola.

Recently I been actively looking for jobs. Well, to be exact I started that 2 weeks ago. I prepared my CV, deciding that one of the selfie I took in my phone may work as a good-friendly CV photo. CV photo doesn't have to be your awkward passport-sized photo you took sitting on a stool in a chinese dilapidated studio room. C'mon, use your i-phone for that well deserving photo where you put yourself out there to be judged your worth.

Well, if you ask me, about my job prospect, I have this long term goal that I wanted to achieve at least soon in my 30's. Definitely gonna happen for real in my 40's. Yes, my 30's is peeking at me now, I am turning 29 this year.

This issue been bugging me yesterday because I received like 3 job interviews, where one is rather almost confirmed of wanting me since they are calling for my 2nd interview with them. I like that company coz it's just 5 minute away from home and my cost of travelling to work would be cut off like totally, so I may be able to saved alot from my salary. Plus, this job is below my ability threshold so I picture myself sailing through the job with both eyes closed.

But then came the issue of short vs long term goals. Because despite that job has multiple easy plus point, it lacks 2 points.

1) Long term expert skill that people would want me more after I am done sailing. You know, if I wrote that I am experienced in that job in my CV next time, say I have 2 years experience, I'm not sure anyone would be bothered to even say 'wow' what more to say they want me. Coz it's kinda a typical admin work, admin out sourcing work. Hmm..

2) It doesn't add value to the professional certificate that I am having now, ie my legal certificate, which seems to be a big deal to those that do not have one. It's like having all these fancy stuff and not wearing them. So yeah. Branching out to other career seems dull if the one you been on is at the higher part of the tree. (wow much metaphor)

I do have another 2 job interviews (not job offer, yet). I need to think about the possibility of overlapping offer now so that when I go to the interview, I would know what to ask and look for for each jobs.

So the 2nd job interview is a litigation firm somewhere in Sri Petaling. I wonder how do they even go to court on time coz their location is like somewhere in the unknown. Doesn't seems good to me in noticing some of this details. I also noticed that the name of the partner are not as what it is in the email, suggesting that the partner may have left? yes. Plus, thanks to Google Map, I could see that the firm is like on some double storey shop lots and I hate to work in those.. I don't belong in those bird cages, I belong in a big building atleast.

So that's seems like a no from me. I have an interview with them this noon, but I am gonna spare them the trouble. I'm not going. I just gonna hate myself more if my guess turn out to be true.

And then there's the third one. The prime one. I want it so bad that it scares me a bit. I hate wanting thing so dearly coz it's gonna break my heart if I am not seen worth to get it.

Well, this one seems prime to me coz it only have one poor point attached to it, ie:

Location. It's kinda far from my house, but there's multiple route to go there, one with toll and one doesn't have toll. Which is still okay. And despite it being far from home, it is near to my mom's place. So I can visit her more often.

(visiting my mom causes me to feel guilty for not visiting my dad who is in Penang, which is kinda too far anyways)

Apart from that, it has all the plus points that I need.

1) It's based on matters of my favorite topics of law, ie Intellectual Properties, Tort and Contract. What and how, I am yet to know what they do, but I am very keen to find out.

2) Well, I will be a litigation lawyer so I will get to practice, which in long term would be a plus point for my career experience.

3) salary should be more since I am working as a lawyer instead of an office admin.

4) it does serves my 40's long term goals coz I am planning to open up my own business in that area of law.

5) Not to mention, I will get my practicing certificate and a license number for me to stamp my name away.


Yup, too many plus points coz I am biased towards it now. I am scared coz I seems to want it so much, the interview for that is tomorrow noon, and I can't even sleep well last night thinking about it. I guess atleast I have this eagerness in my career, which is good. Coz passion what drives a creative career.


GOODLUCK!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment